Filipino Pork Barbeque



Filipino Pork Barbeque

3 lbs thin cut center cut pork loin chops, pounded until very thin (between 1/8-1/4 inch) and cut into 1 inch wide slices against the grain (or you can use pork butt, partially frozen for easier cutting, and slice thin) (I used pork butt because I like that it has a little more fat. You still might need to trim some of the fat. You can also use pork belly, just remove the skin before slicing.)

Marinade:
1 can 7-up (12 oz.)
1/2 c. oil
3/4 c. soy sauce (I used gluten-free soy sauce)
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. ketchup or banana ketchup (I used regular gluten-free ketchup)
6 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 2 lemons, squeezed)
8 garlic cloves, smashed
4 big scallions, chopped or 1 small-medium onion, chopped (I used a medium onion)
1 tsp. kosher salt
Ground black pepper
If you like spice, add 2 tsp. sriracha hot sauce or more, or 1-2 tbs. Frank's red hot sauce, or any chili sauce or fresh chilis (optional) (I left this out)

Basting sauce:
1/2 c. 7-up
1/4 c. soy sauce (I used gluten-free soy sauce)
1/4 c. ketchup (I used regular gluten-free ketchup)
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice





Cooking Instructions:


Prepare the pork as noted above. Mix the marinade ingredients together well. Combine the pork and marinade in a Ziploc bag. Seal and put in the fridge for a minimum or four hours, but better yet overnight or up to 2 days. (I marinated mine overnight.)
Soak bamboo skewers in water for a few hours or overnight to avoid burning when cooking.

When getting ready to cook, slide pork onto skewers, putting several pieces on each skewer as fits with room on the bottom to hold the stick.

Barbecue over medium-high heat over hot coals or gas grill until pork is done, basting as necessary to put a nice glaze on the meat. Depending on the thickness of the pork, you can char the meat first and then move it to a cooler side of the grill to finish cooking. (I also continuously basted the meat. I separated the basting sauce into two bowls-- one for raw meat while it was cooking, another to baste the cooked meat just in case of contamination).



source:  tortillasandhoney

No comments:

Post a Comment